Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A harsh reality


I wanted to post a few more pictures of the Huazhou orphanage and say a bit more about our time we spent there. Before coming to this orphanage, I had been to Hefei (Ellen's orphanage) and Shaogaun, (Maddie Rae's orphanage) so I think my expectation was that it would be similar to these; however, it was really nothing like them, except for the actual buildings themselves. Hefei and Shaogaun have been the beneficaries of some wonderful foundations out there dedicated to helping China's orphans. They come in and build out beautifully furnished playrooms and playgrounds, train nannies, create foster families, etc. I have incluced a picture from Hefei in here so you can compare the two rooms.






The playroom in Huazhou, stark, just a couple of ride-on type toys - we brought several toys that we are unwrapping here.


These precious angels were laying on boards that were painted and the paint was chipping. Not a good combination for a little one like this. I am working to find out the dimensions of the cribs and finding appropriate padding, as the babies don't wear diapers so it needs to be something that wipes up easily and is sanitary and a bit of a cushion too.
These little girls - yes, girls - were initially very leary of us, as they should be. There's no playground outside, so they stay inside, I would imagine, the majority of the time.
There were two nannies for this baby room, with about 25 babies, and the adjacent playroom of about seven toddlers.



2 comments:

Nora said...

Hi Carol,

Beautiful picture of Zoe! It's great all the traveling you are able to do with the girls. What a wonderful opportunity. What a surprise to see Raymond in the pictures. He was our guide in Guangzhou in 2002 and we saw him also in 2005.

The babies are so precious. It must break your heart to leave them .

How are you all doing since the earthquake? We are praying for everyone. The pictures are so very sad.

I sent you an email a short time ago. Hopefully it got to you...

Blessings,
Nora

Amy said...

Hi Carol,
I just found your blog. My daughter is waiting at that orphanage. She is 2 years old. I was wondering if maybe you saw her. My email is amycookmeeker@yahoo.com and I can send you here photo. Please contact me.
Thank you!!!!