Wednesday, May 21, 2008

results of the pottery sale fundraiser


The picture above was sent to me today by our guide, Raymond, who received it from the directors of the Huazhou Orphanage showing one of the tv's and dvd's in use we purchased while there a short while ago. We were so pleased to be able to purchase a few much-needed items for them.

Below I have included some pictures from the sale we had - I seem to have overlooked the results in the last couple of postings and my sister was asking what the results were, so I wanted to include that, as without the generous gifting of this beautiful porcelain, there would not have been a sale, nor would there have been the needed funds to purchase these items, nor provide cleft lip/pallet surgeries for two babies, nor fit a room out at the Anhui Cleft Healing Home!! We raised nearly 50,000 Hong Kong Dollars, which amounts to about $6,250 U.S. Dollars!!
These are the 70 boxes of hand-painted porcelain that we had packed a few days prior. Of course, we were concerned with how we were going to actually transport all of these boxes to Discovery Bay from Kowloon, but God had a hand in that as well and provided a generous donation from a man in the church who co-owns a moving truck. I don't think we could have fit these in a taxi and it would have cost quite a bit to rent a van, which would cut into our profits. We weren't a little nervous about how many people would come and how many boxes we would be repacking once it was over!
The porcelain-packin' crew. Everyone worked hard to clean, price, sell and pack up peoples' purchases. You might wonder, "where are all these lovely ladies from?" Well, I will tell you that: Sweden, Singapore, Canada, Dubai, South Africa, USA and Britain! We're the United Nations, I guess.
We had soooooo much to sell, the floors were covered, tables covered, every even surface, with porcelain!
Ahhh, success, happy people carrying heavy bags of porcelain out the door. People were very generous and I heard many times that they didn't really "need" it, but since it was going for a good cause, why not!?

The "partial" end result of our labor was standing in the appliance store with the directors of the orphanage and our guide Raymond and asking them what they needed. It was fun to raise the money, but of course it was even more fun shopping and spending it!!!! We sent the other half of our procees to Love Without Boundaries to provide the surgeries and room completion.

1 comment:

laurie said...

Carol - I just discovered your blog! It's wonderful. I'm so sorry I wasn't there to take part in the porcelain sale. Kim told me all about it. How awesome! And wonderful that you could all get back to Zoe's orphanage. I miss you and Tuesday mornings!