Tuesday, April 1, 2008

At the Wall



The part of the Wall we went to had two separate sections with two different ways to reach the top of the wall. One was an enclosed gondola and the other is this chair lift. With the gondola, you would also take that back down; however, with the chair lift, you could ride a tobaggon down a long slide, which is what we chose to do.

Going up on the lift, Zoe and I sat in one chair together and behind us was Brad and Ellen and behind them our guide Helen. The lift was more scary than I anticipated, as it's been a long time since I've been on one. During the ride, Zoe said she was scared and had her eyes closed. At that very same time, I also had my eyes closed and we grabbed each other's hand for comfort. When we reached the top, Ellen said she was scared, I told Brad Zoe and I had our eyes closed, and then Helen came along to say she also had her eyes closed and she was scared! What a bunch of scaredy cats we were!
We had such a clear day and could see for miles. I would much prefer to do that on solid ground, though. I got brave here and turned around to snap a picture of Ellen and Brad behind us.
Our guide Helen had an inexhaustible amount of information about virtually everything we saw with her. I would let Brad absorb all she had to say while walking about checking things out for myself and then I let him hit the highlights for me.
There were several times we needed to stop and take a break from either our ascent or descent. Whichever way it was, our legs got a really good workout that day.


1 comment:

Retta said...

Wow! What a GREAT picture of the wall on your header!!! Hmmm...I wish Jon wouldn't have dropped our camera at the wall. Maybe I can get your pics and pretend they're mine. The Griswalds go to Beijing...that was US!! You guys look much more put together than our crew :)