Wednesday, April 2, 2008

We interrupt the following program for these few meanderings. . .

For those of you who will never get the opportunity to travel to China, here's the kind of, um, toilet, you will encounter if you are a woman. It's fondly (?) referred to as a squatty. This picture, however, does not, I repeat, does not, represent the squatties that I have been in across China. This one is pristine. This one happens to be located at the MTR stop for, yes, you guessed it, Disneyland. It looks like a Disneyland squatty too, doesn't it? Nice and shiny and clean and it smells okay. You may wonder what the waste basket is doing there in the corner. Well, that is there because you don't put your tissue or toilet paper you have, um, used, in the squatty. It goes in the waste basket. The squatties I have been in are no longer white, the waste basket is full of - well, I'll let your mind wander with that one, as well as your nose - and the floors are slick with - well, I'll let your mind wander with that one too. I could give you more information about Chinese squatties, but I'm afraid I'll lose all my blog readership, so I'll continue on. . .
We stayed in the Marriott Executive Apartments in Beijing. This was a large complex of I think around seven large towers and the one we were in were for short-term stays, but were equipped with a full kitchen, large living area, dining area and two beautiful bedrooms and two beautiful bathrooms. There was a large iron fence around the complex and guards at all the entrances with gates that had to be raised or lowered as you came in and out. This is the view outside our sixth floor window looking down on the neighborhood around us.
China is chock full of opposites, stark contrasts greet you around virtually every corner. Out our window was the dirty, old-looking, neighborhood, while inside the gates we lived in opulance as reflected in this picture of the huge indoor swimming pool. There was a large hot tub, gym facilities, nice restaurants and beautiful spa.
On our pedicab tour around a flat-house neighborhood called a Hu Tong in Beijing near the Forbidden City I snapped this picture of grandpa with grandson.



No comments: